Personality Development quintessentially means enhancing and grooming
one’s outer and inner self to bring about a positive change to your life. Each
individual has a distinct persona that can be developed, polished and refined.
This process includes boosting one’s confidence, improving communication and
language speaking abilities, widening ones scope of knowledge, developing
certain hobbies or skills, learning fine etiquettes and manners, adding style
and grace to the way one looks, talks and walks and overall imbibing oneself
with positivity, liveliness and peace.
KEY TERMS RELATED TO PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT
Behavior : A stereotyped motor response to an internal or external stimulus.
Character : An individual's set of emotional, cognitive, and behavioral patterns learned and accumulated over time.
Cognition : The act or process of knowing or perceiving.
Cognitive : The ability (or lack of) to think, learn, and memorize.
Identity : The
condition of being the same with, or possessing, a character that is well
described, asserted, or defined.
Maturity : A state of full development or completed growth.
Personality : The organized pattern of behaviors and attitudes that makes a human being distinctive. Personality is formed by the ongoing interaction of temperament, character, and environment.
Socialization : The process by which new members of a social group are integrated in the group.
Temperament : A person's natural disposition or inborn combination of mental and emotional
The whole process of this development takes place over a period of time. Even though there are many crash courses in personality development that are made available to people of all age groups, implementing this to your routine and bringing about a positive change in oneself takes a considerable amount of time.
There are some tips of personality development by which you can develop his or her own aura or charm.
- You may have heard this a million times “Think Positive”. It works.
- Smile. And smile some more. It adds to your face value and to your personality as well.
- Read a few articles in the newspaper loudly. This will help in communicating fluently.
- Follow table manners and dining etiquettes
- Take good care of your health, dress well, be neat and organized
- Prepare a chart that mentions your strengths and weaknesses.
- Spend some time alone concentrating on you and yourself alone.
- Practice meditation and yoga. It will help you develop inner peace and harmony that will reflect outside.
- Do not live a monotonous life. Be creative and do something new all the time. Nothing bigger than the joy of creative satisfaction.
Personality development is gaining more and more importance because it enables people to create a good impression about themselves on others; it helps them to build and develop relationships, helps in your career growth and also helps to improve your financial needs. After all, personality development is nothing but a tool that helps you realize your capabilities and your strengths making you a stronger, a happier and a cheerful person.
Personality Development Tips
Personality represents the people how you are. It is not just looks that are important and that define who you are. The personality of an individual is determined by his/her appearance, behavior, attitude, education, values and some more varying characteristics. Personality defines who you are and how you respond to various situations. It is essential to focus on the personality, which matters the most.
- Dress up well : Focus on how you should dress up for office, party or any other occasion. Wear according to the occasions. Good looks no doubt will add to your personality but what matters the most is how you are dressed up. It plays a major role in personality development.
- Each person is unique : Remember that each individual is different and has his/ her unique characteristics and qualities. Comparing yourself to others around only increases the distress, especially when you start focusing on where you are lacking compared to others. It is important that you channelize your energy towards your positive traits. So never imitate anyone. Be the one which you are in actual and never pretend.
- Learn social skills : Only good-looking will never be sufficient to take you forward in life or help you in your relationships with people. Instead, hone your social skills. The more success one has in social spheres of life, the better you would feel about yourself. Try to make use of positive gestures while interacting with others.
- Do not avoid social interactions : Just because you feel you aren’t good-looking, do not avoid meeting people. Look for opportunities, go to different events, participate in social gatherings and be proactive. The more you eschew social interaction, the worse you would feel about yourself. I would suggest you be gregarious. This is also one of the promising personality development tips.
- Know your positives : If every individual has his or her limitations, then he or she also has positives. These positive are what you need to concentrate on. Know your strengths. Acknowledge them and work with them. It would definitely help you to overcome your challenges and take you into a long run.
- Get Out Of Your Comfort Zone : Be prepared to challenge yourself by learning new skills. For most people it’s a huge learning curve to start an online business, so you must have a very positive, open-minded attitude and embrace any changes you need to make.
- Don’t Fear Failure : Don’t worry about making mistakes, you will make loads in your journey and a lot of them may hold you back for a while, but once you’ve made them, these methods can be eliminated and you can move on.
- Make Yourself Known : Brand yourself in all your communications. Whatever content you put out there is a slice of your personality, so make sure it shows you in a positive light. It’s you’re trying to sell to other people, so the more personal the message the better.
- Come Across As A Leader : Whatever you learn and however little you know, use it well. Become an authority on whatever topic you tackle, then you have the knowledge to pass it on to others and if you put your message across in the right way, you will attract followers. Express yourself and always do, what you say.
- Effort And Consistency :This is linked to your daily plan but is crucial. Marketing your business every day with relevant and sustained effort is much better than huge bursts of activity once a month. Effort and regularity will win the day every time.
- Don’t Give Up : I know this sounds like an obvious one to end on, but there are loads of people who literally could have made it through with only a few more weeks or months of effort. They had done everything right apart from seeing it through to success.
- Be funny & don’t be serious always : No one likes boring and serious people. Everyone enjoys the company of someone who makes them laugh. Do not beat around the bush just to make others laugh. Try to add fun while having the conversation, others will naturally be attracted to you.
Some more good personality development tips at a glance:
- Keep a smart head and keep cool.
- Don’t Copy anyone.
- Create your own personal style
- Don’t doubt yourself
- Be An Active Listener
- Learn to have patience and focus on your communication skills. Be polite and gentle with your words.
- Be executive in dress
- Don’t shout or be aggressive.
- Be more passionate about your work and be optimistic.
- Accept And Recognize Your Weak Points
- Learn to appreciate others. It helps the same qualities to be grown in us too and.
The Interpersonal Communication Skills
Ability to ask the questions and listen are vital to the good interpersonal skills. In fact the empathetic listening is a number one skill which can help to build the relationships.
Ten Tips for Good Interpersonal Skills
- Listen to the person first. Communication is the two-way process; getting all your message across depends on understanding a other person.
- Be interested in people you will be communicating with. Remember that the people are more attracted towards those who have interest in them, and therefore will pay more attention to what they will say.
- Relax. The bad body language like hunched shoulders, fidgeting, the toe-tapping or the hair-twiddling all give a game away.
- Smile and use the eye contact. It is a most positive signal which you can give.
- Ask the questions. It is great way to show the people that you really are interested in them.
- If the other person has different point of view towards you find out why they have such point of view. More you understand
- reasons behind their thinking more you will be able to understand their point of view or can help them understand your point of view.
- Be assertive. so that we can try to value their input as your own inputs. Do not be pushy and do not be a pushover. Try for a right balance.
- When you will be speaking try to be enthusiastic in appropriate context. Use voice and the body language to show this.
- Immediately don't try to latch to something which someone has just now said ... "oh yes it happened to me" and immediately go on and telling your own story. Make sure that you ask questions about them first and then be careful while telling your story so as not to sound like a competition.
- Learn from the interactions. If you have a good conversation with someone try to think why it all went well and remember key points for the next time. If it did not go well - again try and learn something out of it.
We all do communicate with one another through our look as
well as what we do say and how do we sound. In fact what our body is doing
while we are talking (i.e. the body language) could often play much greater
part in the communication than we do think.
Most obvious form of the paralanguage is the body language or the kinesics . This is a language of the gestures, expressions, and the postures. In North America, for the instance, we commonly use arms and shake hands and say good-bye, point, count, express an excitement, beckon, warn away, a threaten, etc. In fact, we will learn many subtle variations of each of the gestures discussed above and make use of these gestures situation. We will use head to either say yes or to say no, to smile, frown, and wink acknowledgement or flirtation. The head and the shoulder in combination may shrug to indicating that we do not know something about the topic.
The eye contact helps to create the better interaction and the rapport with the listeners. Always try to look at listener at the end of the sentence to reinforce a message in that sentence.
The gestures can help to give your voice the extra energy and the confidence Try to gesture on some of the key words – this will give the words a greater emphasis.
Adopt ‘Anchor Position’ whenever you do want to keep the body language calm and controlled. While sitting do keep the small of back into back of the chair. This will help and support your posture and do maintain the energy and the confident style. Aim to keep the body language open and be relaxed all the times. Physical attitude can affect the psychological attitude.
Movement and the Space
Be sensitive towards the people’s space and try not to intrude into it. To achieve the report when speaking to others try to match up the levels –like either both are sitting or standing with a body angled in towards other person.
Remember nobody is born as natural speaker. Of course we can
bawl the heads off and make heck of the noise when we were been born - but it
is is not quite same!
Greatest speakers today have not just become great overnight! They do have spent lot of time practicing reviewing and reading about the way to improve getting the specific one-to-one feedback on how to improve and also having lots of specialized training and the coaching.
It will take time and also effort to read absorb and apply. It will also takes time and efforts to attend the training courses or the seminars and get a good professional training. If we want to differentiate yourself at the work by becoming great presenter however then it is something which is certainly worth investing the time in.
There is the simple structure into which nearly all the presentations must fit. This comprises of the three clearly identifiable parts - Introduction followed by the main body and finally the conclusion.
Often this is expressed as:
- Tell what you are going to tell them
- Tell them
- Tell what you have told them.
The good guide for breakdown of the presentation is 10/80/10 rule - where the introduction and the conclusion are each allotted of 10% of a presentation time with a main body comprising of about 80%. For example the 30 minute presentation should have 3 minutes for introduction and conclusion each and the main body lasting for 24 minutes. This formula may be applied for any length of the presentation - as it do reflects the good breakdown from audience’s perspective.
Time Management Principles
Time management explains the attributes which are needed for
the effective time management, and also the benefits of beginning with the
limited range of the tactics, before extending these into the overall time
Identifying a Time Loss
This will explains the importance of carrying out the objective review of how do you currently spend the time and identifying what proportion of the time is spent in the areas which are not essential for achieving the goals.
Urgency and the Importance
This will describes how to use urgency/importance grid to classify the tasks which you currently perform, and how to optimize an amount of the time which you do spend on each of the type of task.
Effective Decision Making
It describes the various techniques which can contribute to the more effective decision making.
This will discuss of adopting the proactive approach in the order to anticipate the events and be in the position to identify and define the goals clearly.
This will explains how to analyze the goals to define the series of objectives and need to rank the objectives in order to identify means and actions which are needed to achieve them.