Office Automation is a process that uses technology to automate information gathering, communication, presentation, and calculation. Essentially, office automation is a system that helps with the storing and processing of data in all its many forms. This is not to be confused with office mechanization, which is where physical labor is replaced with technology. Instead, automation is how technology can replace more tedious brain functions. For example, not too many years back we would have to calculate the day's intake of money with a calculator or adding machine, and we would have to manually record the amount and file it away in a cabinet. Now, it can be punched into a computer and the data is automatically stored.
Office automation is intended to provide elements which make it possible to simplify, improve, and automate the organization of the activities of a company or a group of people (management of administrative data, synchronization of meetings, etc.).
Considering that company organizations requires increased communication, today, office automation is no longer limited to simply capturing handwritten notes. In particular, it also includes the following activities:
• exchange of information
• management of administrative documents
• handling of numerical data
• meeting planning and management of work schedules
Office automation is the use of information technology to support knowledge work and automate business processes. The following are common modern incarnations of office automation.
Office Productivity : Tools for creating documents and related functions such as printing.
Knowledge Management : Office automation is heavily associated with storage of business information. In its modern incarnation, this includes document management and content management systems that store the work produced by knowledge workers in a searchable managed repository.
Intranet : Tools for publishing and sharing information and documents.
Administration Systems : Applications for administrative practices such as financial accounting and human resources.
Training : Platforms for training & development.
Business Software : Other tools that are specific to a department or industry such as a project management, marketing, sales and technology management platforms.
Data Processing : Data processing tasks such as processing payroll.
Communications : Communication tools such as email, video conferencing and messaging apps.
Microsoft Office suite is a family living in almost every computer around the world. Family members are Microsoft Word to create and edit documents, Excel to perform the mathematical and logical calculation with analytical functions, PowerPoint for presentation, MS- Access for database management and Microsoft Outlook for sending and receiving data by emails etc.
In other words, Microsoft Office is an official application software package, developed by Microsoft Inc. headquarters in Redmond, Washington, United States. Microsoft Office suite is application software’s packaged with one bundle. It means you can use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS-Access, Publisher etc. to create professional looking documents, charts, calculation, reports, and presentations in high speed and accuracy.
Today, Microsoft Office applications are used in according to me almost 90% official works around the world in private and government offices. It is so much popular due to its flexible features, easier methods to create and collaborate in official works.
The first is version was launched in 90’s with the name Microsoft Office 3.0. Today, it is now Microsoft Office 2016 that you can install on your PC. And Office 365 that is a cloud-based subscription for a Microsoft Office in which all the application included with many others exceptional and advanced features. It is cloud based so you can access it anywhere. And you can also use Microsoft Office Online with free Office online apps.
Let’s meet with the Microsoft Office Family Members including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint etc. And find out, what are the duties of each member installed in computer one by one.
1. Microsoft Word : You can use Microsoft Word to create and edit documents such as resume, applications, and letters, school or college assignments professionally.
Microsoft word is application software developed by Microsoft Inc. Microsoft is an American multinational technology company. It is word processing software. Microsoft word is used to create and edit professional-looking documents such as applications, forms, templates, business cards, letters, paper, reports, and booklets by using Microsoft Word.
2. Microsoft Excel : Microsoft Excel is an application of Microsoft Office suite that anyone can use to perform daily life and business calculation by using logical and mathematical formulas in the spreadsheet. It’s a complete financial management application used by millions of people online and offline. It is very well used in data and information analytics by using filters, conditional formatting, and goal seek and pre-defined templates etc. It is also used to visualize data and information in charts, smart arts, pivot table and much more.
3. Microsoft PowerPoint : PowerPoint another application of Microsoft packaged with Microsoft Office suite to create presentations using slides to present data and information in meetings, seminars. It means you can use PowerPoint to create project presentation, business plan presentation, school assignments and presentation for seminars etc.
4. Microsoft Access : You can use MS Access to create database and program to track and manage data and information. It means you can create a database of students, a database of your employees and customer records. You can also track and edit their progress with the profile name, address and everything that is needed for you to collect.
5. Microsoft Outlook : You can use Microsoft Outlook in computer and online as you use Gmail. It is used to send and receive official and personal mail. In this, you can manage your day to day task and save important contacts. The best features that we use each day, is you can access existed emails without an Internet connection. And you can insert all formatting options while writing an email.